SBS-3

News and information about what new functionality and developments lie ahead for SBS systems and BaseStation.

Moderators: admin, KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

KineticDavid
Site Admin

Re: SBS-3

Post by KineticDavid » November 13th, 2011, 11:15 pm

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction !!

I wonder whether it was my best idea to take photo's of the production sample and place it on the web just before going home on a Friday night. On the one hand it offers people an opportunity to see exactly what the production unit looks like, complete with ventilation holes, lasered out to form the SBS-3 logo. On the other hand, we can end up with discussion time spent on wood grain analysis of my office desk.

As for the meaning of the word optional in the wording on our website SBS-3 page - It is our intention to provide numerous decoders built into the firmware of the SBS-3 but we will reach a space limit and therefore may well end up in a situation whereby users will need to choose a firmware load depending on their own pastimes. Additionally, there may well be releases of decoders where a cost will be levied due to third party licence requirements and uptake of firmware with this chargeable code would be optional. For the record, the UAT decoder, when released, will be a FREE OF CHARGE upgrade. I'll be in the USA this week testing it.

Despite our best efforts, we don't have a crystal ball which is a problem when you are trying to build a reasonably future proof device and in today's litigious society, disclaimers are a de-facto requirement.

As for the metal box, the times they are a changing. With two SDR tuners in the device, a dedicated 1090Mhz receiver and a host of other devices, both screening and heat dissipation are part of the design - and it looks nice too.
We've also added an I2C port for add-on peripherals such as remote touchscreens ( the one in our office is very cool) and memory device etc.

I write more over the coming days but meanwhile the production run is yielding up boards on Wednesday !!!

Regards

David

mhm

Post by mhm » November 13th, 2011, 11:59 pm

KineticDavid wrote:Every action has an equal and opposite reaction !!

I wonder whether it was my best idea to take photo's of the production sample and place it on the web just before going home on a Friday night. On the one hand it offers people an opportunity to see exactly what the production unit looks like, complete with ventilation holes, lasered out to form the SBS-3 logo. On the other hand, we can end up with discussion time spent on wood grain analysis of my office desk.

As for the meaning of the word optional in the wording on our website SBS-3 page - It is our intention to provide numerous decoders built into the firmware of the SBS-3 but we will reach a space limit and therefore may well end up in a situation whereby users will need to choose a firmware load depending on their own pastimes. Additionally, there may well be releases of decoders where a cost will be levied due to third party licence requirements and uptake of firmware with this chargeable code would be optional. For the record, the UAT decoder, when released, will be a FREE OF CHARGE upgrade. I'll be in the USA this week testing it.

Despite our best efforts, we don't have a crystal ball which is a problem when you are trying to build a reasonably future proof device and in today's litigious society, disclaimers are a de-facto requirement.

As for the metal box, the times they are a changing. With two SDR tuners in the device, a dedicated 1090Mhz receiver and a host of other devices, both screening and heat dissipation are part of the design - and it looks nice too.
We've also added an I2C port for add-on peripherals such as remote touchscreens ( the one in our office is very cool) and memory device etc.

I write more over the coming days but meanwhile the production run is yielding up boards on Wednesday !!!

Regards

David
Thanks for the update David

Have a safe journey, cant wait for the details when you get back

Mike

Anmer

Post by Anmer » November 14th, 2011, 9:32 am

Reading David's post, the first production units should be "arriving" on a Wednesday (possibly this week) but still no clear indication of what will be standard or optional, chargeable or included? Some dealers are already taking advanced orders but there doesn't appear to be a definitive specification of what's included "off-the-shelf"?

Whilst I can understand the veil of secrecy in a competitive market, I must admit that I allowed myself to fall into the trap of expecting all the announced features to be included for the "advertised" price of £499. Now I'm not sure.
Anmer
Radarspotting.com
Radarspotting since 2005

tarbat

Post by tarbat » November 14th, 2011, 10:08 am

A simple question. If I buy an SBS-3 at launch, will it decode AIS, and display aircraft and ships in a single, integrated display? That's what I'm looking for, and is what I thought was meant by the statement:

"It provides a true Real-Time Virtual Radar display on a PC or MAC screen showing Mode-S/ADS-B equipped aircraft and AIS equipped vessels immediately around them."

Thankyou.

Peter

Post by Peter » November 14th, 2011, 11:06 am

I totally agree with both Mike & Chris. I think David's comment was "the production run is yielding up boards on Wed". That means the boards still have to be put inside the cases, an occasional sample tested, the software discs produced etc, and the whole lot packaged ready for despatch. A few weeks yet I fear, I doubt Santa will have to make room on his sleigh this year, hope I'm proved wrong!
I too thought that at least AIS would be included in the initial launch, maybe it is, but prospective customers would really like to know what they are getting now, and what might be coming along in the future.

Peter

Truetrack

Post by Truetrack » November 14th, 2011, 12:09 pm

I am not sure what to comment after all the uncertainty re AIS available or not
read this
http://www.kinetic.co.uk/estore/index.p ... t&catId=17
Klaus

Anmer

Post by Anmer » November 14th, 2011, 12:31 pm

I think we'll have to wait for the official product spec and prices. In the meantime I shall treat everything else as "pre-sales hype". :roll:
Anmer
Radarspotting.com
Radarspotting since 2005

clubbtraxx

Post by clubbtraxx » November 14th, 2011, 10:59 pm

Truetrack wrote:I am not sure what to comment after all the uncertainty re AIS available or not
read this
http://www.kinetic.co.uk/estore/index.p ... t&catId=17
That link has a beard of at least a few months... Oh well I am getting one regardless if AIS will be initially included.
I skipped the 1-er generation so it is about time for a replacement, and the company that revolutionized aircraft tracking/spotting deserves some new sales :mrgreen:

Anmer

Post by Anmer » November 15th, 2011, 8:20 am

clubbtraxx wrote:Oh well I am getting one regardless if AIS will be initially included.
Since you're a member of the Kinetic Beta test team, I'm hope you will. :wink:
Anmer
Radarspotting.com
Radarspotting since 2005

tarbat

Post by tarbat » November 15th, 2011, 8:55 am

clubbtraxx wrote:That link has a beard of at least a few months...
But is one of several pages you'll get if you Google search on "Kinetic AIS". For example, whatever happened to the AIS-1eR? http://www.kinetic.co.uk/ais-1.php

Companies really shouldn't leave old, unavailable product announcements on their site for Google to find. I do hope the SBS-3 has a longer product life than the AIS-1eR!!

Peter

Post by Peter » November 15th, 2011, 9:33 am

I emailed Chris with the direct question, will it intitially have AIS decoding facilies built in?
No response.

Peter
Last edited by Peter on November 15th, 2011, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anmer

Post by Anmer » November 15th, 2011, 10:03 am

Reading the new posts here each morning, I wouldn't be surprised if the SBS-3 includes a free pair of shoes. :lol:
Anmer
Radarspotting.com
Radarspotting since 2005

mhm

Post by mhm » November 15th, 2011, 10:53 am

Peter wrote:I emailed Chris with the direct question, will it intitially have AIS decoding facilies built in?
No response.

Peter
I think Chris is on the production line making these new toys.

Mixism

Post by Mixism » November 15th, 2011, 1:05 pm

Anmer, It not shoes we where told came with it. It was a one cup coffee maker! :D
Later

tarbat

Post by tarbat » November 15th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Peter wrote:I emailed Chris with the direct question, will it intitially have AIS decoding facilies built in?
No response.
I also emailed Chris yesterday asking a simple question - "Can you tell me a firm date when AIS decoding and display of aircraft and ships in an integrated display will definately be available?"

No response after 24 hours. You'd have thought that if the SBS-3 and/or AIS-1eR are going to include AIS decoding Kinetic would want to confirm that quickly to dispel the rumours that suggest it will NOT be included.