Repair to XP machine

For general (non-commercial) chat unrelated to aviation. Discuss your favourite films and books, get advice on places to visit, and let everyone know about your spiffing new homepage. WARNING: Standard UK pub rules apply, meaning absolutely no discussion of religion or politics (aviation related politics excepted) with the landlord's decision being final.

Moderators: KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

MANOFKENT

Repair to XP machine

Post by MANOFKENT » May 10th, 2013, 10:17 am

There has to be PC savvy guys out there so I put a question out which goes like this.

I have more than 1 PC that has XP Home OS and the CoA sticker is on the side but I don't know what install disc to use to try and repair the broken PC.

Any ideas? Or is it just a case of inserting any of the 2 installation discs that I own and wait for the Authentication prompt and read it from the side of PC. If so, "That was easy wasn't it?"

TIA

Roger

satcom

Re: Repair to XP machine

Post by satcom » May 10th, 2013, 3:14 pm

Hi Roger

If its a PC from one of the main suppliers and you want to try to get it back to how it was when you bought it , then turn it on and hold down one of the F keys....possibly F8 [ depends on how its set up..... google the type of PC to find out which key to hold down ] This often gets you into recovery mode and from then on following the prompts could get you
into a repair or re format sequence and you'll be prompted to insert any disks you have

Note that if you go for re format you'll lose all the stuff you had on there , but , if the problem is fixable , then this is the way to do it.

MANOFKENT

Post by MANOFKENT » May 10th, 2013, 9:56 pm

Thanks John but I already knew that lol reason why I will go into the "Repair" because I obviously don't want to lose everything. The question was more aimed at the PC and because I have 2, I don't know which belongs to which so Certificate of Authentication may not work for another PC. I have a Network Controller missing or Ethernet Controller not being installed(It tells me). Googling has put me down the possibility of the install disk repairing if it's damaged in some way. If all is not able to be done, then I will dispense using it and get PP installed on new PC and take it from there. I wanted to use the old PC because it had everything on there in relation to PP and so never need to install PP to Windows 7 PC. But no hurry, as long as the workmen take their own little time to do what they are doing(For the past 5 months).

Roger

Budgie

Post by Budgie » May 11th, 2013, 9:36 am

I don't think it matters which disc you put in if you're only going into the repair side.
Have you tried one of the discs in repair mode and does it ask for the key?
Only I don't remember having to enter the key when I tried to repair my W7 PC a month or so ago.

One problem I did run into with W7 was that the disc I have is a first issue W7 installation disc and since I installed it the PC has been updated to W7 SP1 through Windows Update and the original disc won't repair it now it's had SP1 installed.
I don't know if XP is the same but it's something to look out for. :wink: