sbs-1 and linux mint

For general (non-commercial) chat unrelated to aviation. Discuss your favourite films and books, get advice on places to visit, and let everyone know about your spiffing new homepage. WARNING: Standard UK pub rules apply, meaning absolutely no discussion of religion or politics (aviation related politics excepted) with the landlord's decision being final.

Moderators: KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

hinestine2

sbs-1 and linux mint

Post by hinestine2 » April 22nd, 2012, 8:08 pm

hi
i have asked this question in the past and no one had been able to use sbs-1 with linux, i would like to know if anyone has successfully used the first sbs-1 model with linux mint v10 and if so could they please tell be how to go about it
thank you
bob

coupe

Re: sbs-1 and linux mint

Post by coupe » June 17th, 2012, 7:02 pm

The SBS-1 was a closed and proprietary product (no longer supported). You would be better off developing something with an open interface product.

KineticChris
Site Admin

Post by KineticChris » June 17th, 2012, 9:46 pm

We do support it in as much latest software works with it and we ensure as far as possible any features we include in basestation if they can work on older boxes we role it out on all models
If you read the SBS-3 API you can get some idea of what to expect from the SBS-1
The Guys at Planeplotter are certainly leaping forward with features for the older boxes as well as the SBS-3
I have seen some programs under Ubuntu & Python that connect to the SBS-1 and spit out the port 30003 data so I am sure someone will come to you aid if you dig around

Here are some efforts on Linux for you to peruse

http://blog.aprs.fi/2008/01/running-sbs ... linux.html

http://piopawlu.net/tag/sbs1/

http://www.tech-software.net/

Hope it helps
Chris Taylor

coupe

Post by coupe » June 18th, 2012, 3:36 pm

There is no track display program available (such as there is on Windows).

I wrote a Java track display program, but Linux is a real toy when it comes to USB. Lots of USB hacking since the 90's, but today you would still be unimpressed with the programming tools available.

I just looked to see if things have improved, and Linux USB development stagnated about 2001, and back then when I used it, it had a lot of reliability problems. I tried the Piotr USB program, and it too does resets for no reason. It's not his fault, the Linux OS is just a turd as far as USB is concerned.

If you had a TCP version of the SBS-1 you would be better off. Alas, I never wasted my money on that, as Windows USB works fine.

Linux isn't ready for the USB SBS-1. Java isn't ready for USB either, as the javax.usb code failed miserably, and IBM abandoned it.

I don't know why anyone would want to use Linux. Sometimes 'free' is too expensive. Why cook noodles, when you can cook a steak?

sbsmobile

Post by sbsmobile » June 27th, 2012, 9:25 am

I was at a Hamradio show in Germany last week
I saw a guy with an SBS-3 and a Beagleboard running on a TV it was impressive but he did not speak too much English and I did not speak too much German did anyone else see this?
All I could gleen from him was he was going to sell it as an SBS-3 computer alternative for about 250 Euros

For those who don't know what a beagleboard is see

http://beagleboard.org/

It could probably fit in an SBS-3 case :D
Cheers

Tag

Anmer

Post by Anmer » June 27th, 2012, 10:11 am

Was the Beagleboard connected to the SBS-3 or did it have a Mode-S receiver attached?
Anmer
Radarspotting.com
Radarspotting since 2005