Radio Channels

The place to chat about using the BaseStation / SBS systems, ask questions, and to post any tips, tricks or stories about how you've used it. We'd also like to hear any suggestions you have for new functionality which we can add to the system.

Moderators: admin, KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

DaveG

Radio Channels

Post by DaveG » November 7th, 2006, 10:25 am

Just a quick question for those using a Radio Interface, and for developers.

Does the radio interface only give list of channels or is there any connection to the aircraft your viewing? By that I mean if I click or right click on a aircraft will it only display channel Freq's for the area the aircraft is in or do I get everything?

For developers, if everything anyway of building a feature like above into the system?

Allocator

Re: Radio Channels

Post by Allocator » November 7th, 2006, 1:25 pm

DaveG wrote:Just a quick question for those using a Radio Interface, and for developers.

Does the radio interface only give list of channels or is there any connection to the aircraft your viewing? By that I mean if I click or right click on a aircraft will it only display channel Freq's for the area the aircraft is in or do I get everything?

For developers, if everything anyway of building a feature like above into the system?
The radio channels displayed come from the files in the RadioFrequencies dir of Basestation. Bones has a downloadable files to update these on his website:

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/Kine ... lities.htm

The frequencies are linked to geographic points, mainly airfields. You can also access these frequencies using the dropdown lists from the menu bar. There is no connection between the displayed aircraft and the frequencies, as any number of frequencies could be used in a given area depending on the level of the aircraft and the agency it is working. The frequencies displayed by Basestation are only as accurate as the entries in the RadioFrequencies directory.

Do a forum search for Frequency or Frequencies and read through the various posts.
SBS-1
RadarBox
PlanePlotter
ShipPlotter

www.assaultglidertrust.co.uk
www.rafars.org

bones

Post by bones » November 7th, 2006, 2:10 pm

I doubt it - the parameters would just be too great. ATC systems are very flexible and sectors band-box frequencies during quiet periods. There are also standby frequencies when the normal frequency is on maintenance.

If you are trying to determine a frequency based on an aircraft's geographical position then you would have to map the probable coverage of every UK frequency - and the overlap is extensive. For example an aircraft that is just north of Birmingham could be working London Centre UIR, London Centre, Manchester Centre, Birmingham Approach, London FIR, Shawbury LARS, Tatenhill AFIS, East Midlands Approach or none of these at all.

Experience and intelligent guesswork would be faster.