Showing flight route details on SBS1-3/Puck

The place to chat about using the BaseStation / SBS systems, ask questions, and to post any tips, tricks or stories about how you've used it. We'd also like to hear any suggestions you have for new functionality which we can add to the system.

Moderators: admin, KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

Roadrunner

Showing flight route details on SBS1-3/Puck

Post by Roadrunner » October 10th, 2016, 7:53 am

With the fact that Active Display no longer provides details on flight data for use on my SBS3, is there any source of information that is available out there so that I can see this data on an SBS device?

I have asked, but am getting no response from GAS, as to whether the broken links in Active Display will be mended.

Regards Mike
Beep-Beep

bones

Re: Showing flight route details on SBS1-3/Puck

Post by bones » October 15th, 2016, 12:39 am

I played with writing our own data into the reference.sqb file but, unfortunately, the Routes table won't accept data from the Insert command. :(

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » October 15th, 2016, 1:49 pm

On renewing my subscription to AD in late September, I did ask if there was any chance of the link to the flight routes and to Airliners.net being repaired. Although I did get a reply with my new licence, no response to my questions was forthcoming., which is rather sad as I sill prefer Active Display to any of the other add-ons to SBS.

Regards Mike
Beep-Beep

Tristar500

Post by Tristar500 » October 15th, 2016, 11:45 pm

bones wrote:I played with writing our own data into the reference.sqb file but, unfortunately, the Routes table won't accept data from the Insert command. :(
If you have a block of routes to add you could always collate the data as a csv file & use the 'Append' command from within the AD menu to add it to the Routes database.

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » October 17th, 2016, 7:33 am

I have "looked" at what I believe is the local data held in "reference.sqb" for AD that contains the routes data and there are still plenty of route numbers in there that still appear in BaseStation to this day. They may not be up-to-date but I get the (for example)

"Route for AAL46 cannot be established" This appears for every flight.

What is weird though, if I take a look in the edit routes tab and type in AAL46 it shows route data!!!

Whilst writing this, I have been looking at the settings for routes I had it set to the default of 90 days before look-up. I have reset it to 9999 days and it appears to have started showing them again.

Now I need to see if I can manually insert data and get it to work.

Regards Mike
Beep-Beep

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » October 18th, 2016, 7:08 am

Further to my message of yesterday. It would appear that it was down to the route currency date that was causing me problems. Nothing in the file has a date in the last 15 months so by putting the currency to 9999 days (a=03/06/1989 it started to populate the popular name (route) field of BaseStation. I also got some details for a few LTN flights and used the append option.

I created a .csv file using Excel with the following columns
RouteID Lastupdated FlightNumber IATAOrigin IATADestination ICAOOrigin ICAODestination

of these I was only able to populate the

FlightNumber IATAOrigin IATADestination ICAOOrigin ICAODestination

VLG7964 LEBL EGGW BCN LTN
VLG7965 EGGW LEBL LTN BCA
VLG8406 LEBL EGGW AMS LTN
VLG8407 EGGW EHAM LTN AMS
VLG8404 EHAM EGGW AMS LTN
VLG8405 EGGW EHAM LTN AMS
VLG7966 LEBL EGGW BCN LTN
VLG7967 EGGW LEBL LTN BCA
Beep-Beep