Is BaseStation Development Dead ??

The place to chat about using the BaseStation / SBS systems, ask questions, and to post any tips, tricks or stories about how you've used it. We'd also like to hear any suggestions you have for new functionality which we can add to the system.

Moderators: admin, KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

w0lt1

Is BaseStation Development Dead ??

Postby w0lt1 » January 4th, 2017, 5:01 pm

Just wondering as I haven't seen nor heard of any plans for updating, enhancing, or continuing the product. :roll: :?:

bones

Re: Is BaseStation Development Dead ??

Postby bones » January 4th, 2017, 10:01 pm

Kinetic have not released any information about development for some years. Upgrades are still coming out but without any advance publicity.

w0lt1

Postby w0lt1 » January 5th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Upgrades are still coming out but without any advance publicity

Thanks for the reply bones ! :wink:
Could you possibly expound on what upgrades have come out since the last (2014?) revision? :?:

-tp

forx

Postby forx » January 31st, 2017, 8:36 pm

Bump

forx

Postby forx » March 7th, 2017, 6:19 pm

Hello, Chris any news ?
Mike.

forx

Postby forx » April 13th, 2017, 10:14 am

Hello anyone there ?

rogerlong

Postby rogerlong » April 15th, 2017, 11:41 pm

I think judging by the lack of response its pretty much had it, I see Chris Taylor has put a post up regarding Trilby Hat. Pity really that no one from Kinetic bothers with this forum now.

allan senior

Postby allan senior » October 12th, 2017, 3:24 pm

....and there's me thinking of coming back to the product.

Tristar500

Postby Tristar500 » October 12th, 2017, 7:56 pm

....and there's me thinking of coming back to the product

Allan,
I hope that the lack of development doesn't put you off from returning. I bought my SBS-1 'Classic' over 11 years ago and the system still does everything I expected of it then & more besides, it still rates as the best £500 I've ever spent.

It's not just Basestation that's lacking further development though, in the early days of the SBS there was a glut of 'add-ons' but these have dried up as well. PlanePlotter is perhaps the only true 'add on' product which is continually being developed though you could throw in PlaneBase & ADU for populating & logging.

This forum seems to be moribund as well, I remember in the early days eagerly logging in to read the many new posts of peoples trials & tribulations and the suggestion & solutions offered by other members. It was a rich source of knowledge from which I learnt a lot, but nowadays it can go days without a post. Many of the 'names' that were, in my view, synonymous with the forum no longer post, perhaps the lack of development just reflects a continuing lack of interest in Mode-S monitoring generally ?

Ian

bones

Postby bones » October 18th, 2017, 7:23 pm

I still have my SBS3 running 24/7 on a dedicated PC and Active Display to augment it. The only "mod" I have made to the system was to secure the aerial as the ex hurricane passed by as I wasn't convinced it would stand up to 80mph winds. :)

Cureently watching a Bristow S92 flying in circles just north of ROLEX and wondering if a ship is in trouble out there. I hope not..

allan senior

Postby allan senior » October 19th, 2017, 3:58 pm

Thank you Tristar500 and Bones. I regret selling my SBS some 5 years ago. I've 'made do' with planefinder and adsb exchange on the phone but feel like diving back in. I'll keep an eye out for a secondhand box then as I feel confident in dusting off my pc skills.
cheers
allan

Return to “Discussion”